League Leaders  |  Red Sox Schedule  |  Who's Hot  |  Red Sox Leaders  |  Rain Out Tracker 5000  |  Probable Pitchers  |  Red Sox Odds 
    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, September 10, 2004

    The Reports of His Demise Prove Premature

    Welcome Back SW


    SEATTLE -- Everyone figured he was done for the season. So Scott Williamson joined the ranks of medical marvels last night when the Red Sox activated him from the disabled list with the hope the once-dominating setup man can help them win the American League East and much more.

    Williamson held batters to an .097 average while posting a 1.25 ERA over 21 appearances before he landed on the DL July 1 for the second time this season with an injured right elbow. Doctors told him he may need a second Tommy John transplant surgery, a career-threatening procedure. But Williamson pressed for additional tests until his medical team determined his elbow was healthy enough for him to try to overcome considerable odds and pitch again.

    I did everything I possibly could," said Williamson. "My arm has been feeling great. It's a blessing in disguise that maybe that's how things happen and made me a stronger person and a stronger player. Now I've just got to go out there and pitch well and help this team get to the playoffs and win a World Series. There's nothing certain. All I can do is take it day by day and do the best I possibly can."



    By Bob Hohler, Globe Staff September 10, 2004
    Full Story

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home