League Leaders  |  Red Sox Schedule  |  Who's Hot  |  Red Sox Leaders  |  Rain Out Tracker 5000  |  Probable Pitchers  |  Red Sox Odds 
    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, December 24, 2004

    Captain Tek Money


    Varitek will take the ice next year sporting a C on his chest, literary. Friday the Red Sox announced Jason Varitek's and new deal worth $40 million over four years. Just how much is a top free agent catcher worth? Javy Lopez the top offense catcher in the game was able to garner a three year 25 million dollar deal just one year ago. So it would be fair to say that the Sox were not afraid to pay through the nose for their unofficial team captain now turned official.

    Everyone knew he was the captain before, it was actually acknowledged, but I think it's a great honor that the Red sox were able to put the 'C' on his jersey and officially call him the captain of the team," said veteran knuckleballer Tim Wakefield
    Jason becomes the first Red Sox captain since Jim Rice in 1989.

    I'm extremely honored right now. I don't really know what to say. You add all these things together with it being Christmas Eve, a special day, but to have that honor, to hold this honor in this city and this region, for this team, is something I'll wear proudly," said Varitek. "For me, I can't change. I lead by my position, by what I do, by what I believe in."


    (Michael Dwyer/AP)
    Full Story

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home